Grilled cheese and tomato soup is warm comfort food, and a mainstay during the cold snow laden winter that I hope we are finally coming out of around these parts. As a child this would frequently be on the lunch menu, and was one of the first meals my siblings and I learned to make for ourselves as we grew.

My mother would frequently make our toast in the oven instead of the toaster, and I'm not sure why, unless it was because she was saving time and could make more slices at one time, but whatever the reason, I still like my toast made in the oven. It seems to be a little chewier and sweeter, and I like how the butter sinks into the bread!  All this to say, when I saw the idea for making grilled cheese sandwiches in the oven , I thought it was absolutely genius, and had to try it right away!  I've since tried it several different ways, and it is AWESOME! The cheese melts better inside, and I can make six at a time easily on my baking sheet, and the sandwiches get slightly chewy and seem sweeter! Once you try it, I don't think you'll ever go back to making them in a frying pan!

, Grilled Cheese in the Oven, These are ridiculously easy to make: Start with your favorite bread and cheese and some butter.

, Grilled Cheese in the Oven,

My favorite bread that I've tried so far with these sandwiches is the Schwebel's Sweet Wheat, (although I've made them with whole grain bread and Italian as well, and they're all good), and since I've never cared a lot for the taste of processed cheese slices, I like to use a good quality cheddar cheese slice.  Ham or sliced turkey is optional and delicious, but my favorite is simply with the gooey cheese alone.

, Grilled Cheese in the Oven,

Depending on how many sandwiches you're making, you need 2 slices of bread for each, and about a Tablespoon of butter for each sandwich, and of course at least one cheese slice for each.  Now I like to melt my butter a bit and brush it on the outside of each slice, but it's probably not necessary, if you prefer instead to use a knife and spread un-melted butter on your bread.  Lay them out on your baking sheet.

, Grilled Cheese in the Oven,

After buttering, adding the cheese, and topping with more buttered bread, they are ready to go in the oven.

In a preheated 425 degree oven, bake on one side for around 6 minutes, checking though to get it to your preferred degree of "toastyness." Then carefully flip over and bake for another 3 minutes or so, again watching for the perfect "brown-ness" for your taste.

, Grilled Cheese in the Oven,

These are truly amazingly scrumptious!

, Grilled Cheese in the Oven,

Print

Grilled Cheese in the Oven

Course Lunch or Dinner

Cuisine American

Prep Time 10 minutes

Cook Time 10 minutes

Total Time 20 minutes

  • Favorite bread
  • Favorite cheese
  • 1 Tablespoon butter for each sandwich melted optional
  • Turkey or ham optional
  • I like to melt my butter a bit and brush it on the outside of each slice, but it's probably not necessary, if you prefer to use a knife and spread unmelted butter on your bread.

  • After buttering, adding the cheese, and topping with more buttered bread, they are ready to go in the oven.

  • In a preheated 425 degree oven, bake on one side for around 6 minutes, checking though to get it to your preferred degree of "toastyness." Then carefully flip over and bake for another 3 minutes or so, again watching for the perfect "browness" for your taste.


, Grilled Cheese in the Oven,
The cheese gets hot and bubbly throughout, and the bread becomes slightly chewy and somehow a bit sweeter.
Who knew that making grilled cheese in the oven would be not only more efficient, but also much tastier!
This is a great way to make grilled cheese for a crowd too!

I've also made these with turkey and ham slices, and they are a delicious alternative!

, Grilled Cheese in the Oven,

If you like grilled cheese, these Grilled Cheese with Tomato and Pesto are amazing too!

Hope you enjoy!

Idea from Lynn's Kitchen Adventures

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save